Do you miss DivineTV?

Monday, September 14, 2009

Exlcusive Interview with Drawzilla


Divinity:What's the meaning behind your name?I'm Curious.
Drawzilla:Basically, I flipped the name concept as to say I draw and big picture when I create records. So Zilla, describes the HUGE illustration of my music. I tell most folks to call me Zilla for short. lol
Divinity: Interesting...that's DEFINITELY different...I like it. It's not just something plain and virtually meaningless like D-RO or LZW ..lol & no-one else has it ( I.E: Sean Paul...v.s. Sean Paul of the Youngbloodz)

Divinity: How old were you when you decided you wanted to impact the musical industry? - why?
Drawzilla: I was about 17 when I decided to pursue music but not as a career at first. I was focused on a cooking career at the time but was unhappy. I always had ideas of taking music more seriously but never had an outlet. I slowly started meeting some established people in the business and found a lane to dedicate myself to it. I geniunely just love music so that's the reason why I chased the dream. I didnt make any real money until years later, it was all for the love of the art. Now, I'm a record producer full time and have a licensing deal with VIACOM that keeps me afloat. Ascap sends checks for the music I have placed on MTV, VH1, etc shows.

Divinity:How did you begin to pursue it?
Drawzilla: I really reached out to as many people I knew that was in the industry. I started attending music seminars to educate my self and to network. I found my current entertainment attorney at a music conference in NYC. I built a home studio and focused on creating records for up and coming artists and a few in my hood. Once I found a team, and aligned myself with my business partner, it made things a lot easier to take it seriously. I had support and a backbone and ran with that.

Divinity: In 5 years were would you like to see yourself in this business?
Drawzilla: I see my myself running a successful production company, signing producers, artists, and writers exclusively and having distribution with a major parent company. Im honestly half way there. I just have to continue networking and make powerful records as well as placing them to major recording artists.

Divinity: What's your spin on the major label artists v.s. underground ones?
Drawzilla: Major record companies only focus is to make revenue. There is no development or creative directors any longer. Artists nowadays have to come to the table with a buzz to even be considered by a major. They are not investing hundreds and thousands of dollars in any marketing plans without a track record of the artists first. So basically, a business plan has to be presented to the majors to insure themselves, money will be made in the long run.
Independent labels have the relationship with the artist and do all the things majors would do but on a lower scale to build the artists up. They control the creative process however incur all costs. They really take the biggest risk but reap the monetary benefits when selling their product. So, if they sell an album via ITUNES etc, they retain the majority of the sale. We are an independent production company. Inasirkl Music Group (IMG) ! We signed 1 hip hop artist named Sic Osyrus from Philadephia !

CREDITS :
Mariah Carey f/ LL Cool J " Love you long time" (official remix)
Chrisette Michele
Remy Ma
Capone of CNN
Jae Millz
Freeway
Tek of Smif and Wessun
Sheek Louch
ETC !!



I really have to say....I'm honored to have had the opportunity to interview him...
I know for a fact..this is someone we will definitely be seeing more of in the music business.
Thanks Drawzilla for a great interview...and giving us insight into what makes you tick :) !
May this be insirpiration to all those who are underground artists ...or underground musical anything!
-Divinity

No comments:

Post a Comment